Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

One Surviving Silver Oak: a Wise Pride?

The tabloids, televisions and radios are filled with the news of Climate changes and destructions. The news of earthquakes, floods, melting glaciers and disappearing islands are not uncommon these days. The alarmed decision makers (whom we have trusted would make best decisions for generation now and future) are meeting in more numbers in flashy hotels at mountains, sands and smoggy cities with agendas to better the policies and initiatives to conserve the remnant of natural environment natural and reduce the further human (inhumane in nature) insults on life supporting earth. Either it be failed Copenhagen summit or more successful efforts elsewhere, to live in a natural earth is main cause at heart.

Reduction of factory emissions, emissions from vehicles, proper management of garbage, recycle of wastes, conservation of natural reserves, parks and fauna are some of the best efforts talked and energy devoted to. But with ever increasing population and their demands for better living conditions and comfort. The factories need to equate the demands with supplies. To meet the needs of the market factories has to burn more fuels and people has to drive more cars and make more wastes. The stress on nature is immensely multiplied. Nature has to give its way, it can’t hold any further like people losing their cool when they have to stand in a cue for time more than expected. I am no vicar to escape that. It is very instinctive or put it in other words ‘natural’. This is fine example of how natural things cannot remain natural forever. It certainly justifies the havocs we see around. That’s not so pleasant to learn. We are bearing fruits of our wayward shopping spree with nature.

Some days are dedicated to please the nature like World Environment Day on June 5th or Social Foresty Day on June 2nd in Bhutan. That looks a decent effort. I remember how enthusiastic we were as a primary school kid about planting our own sapling on June 2nd. Our seniors in school would pride about how tall their plant is. My sister had a eucalyptus by the roadside on our way to home. I would look at greening leaves and widening branch and would say to my peers that’s my sister’s plant and wish I would one day have my own plant to pride about. I think about it and I am always assured it was a wise pride.

One June I was one of the students entitled to saplings, I had a pine and was deemed old enough to take care of the sapling I was given. I dug a hole near cliff as recommended, tore the black plastic that wrapped the sapling and planted the pine amongst black soil and cow dung manure. And a fence to guard from the animals was secured around it. I would watch my plant every morning during the social work. Sometimes I would prune the weeds or water if I found a decent container. Plants of my friends grew green and tall. Mine of course survived the summer and the fall. Next spring when our school reopened I went to see my plant for last time. It wasn’t green and tall, a dried stalk was what was left. I thought winter chill ate my plant. It was a failure to make my school clean and green and a serious dent to my pride of owning a big tree one day. Next June I got more saplings but only one silver oak survived to grow tall and green. It is beautiful plant with tapering end and silvery leafs. That’s only pride I can be proud of when I recall of my effort to keep earth green and happy.

If we do the math, it would be 7 billion saplings we will be adding if we plant a sapling for each living person every year. This certainly shows working in one accord towards conserving the nature would yield us fewer woes. It is our earth and our obligation to keep it clean and happy. Let’s contribute with our little efforts every day.  Save nature to save ourselves for non can escape nature's fury.........can we?......

No comments:

Post a Comment